Sunday, August 31, 2008

KC Irish Fest 2008

The Kansas City Irish Fest was this weekend and a group of us decided to go. This is the third year that I've gone to the Irish Fest, and it was a first for my new roommate. Here's a refresher on Irish Fest 2006 and Irish Fest 2007.
...
It was fun for all, even for me since the whole festival expanded in size and there seemed to be a lot more vendors (food and other) and musical guests there.
Thankfully, we decided to go later in the evening this year, so it wasn't 100 degrees out and there was no need for me to jump in the fountains to cool off. The lack of heat, however, did not deter these kids from getting wet.
All of us purposefully did not eat dinner at home so that we could gorge on expensive-and-fatty-but-oh-so-delicious festival food. I was seeking out the Italian sausage stand, but I saw this sign for fried pickles and thought "Is that such a good idea?" No, I did not try one. The idea of a fried pickle does not perk my food palette. I was very close to getting a corn dog though.
I knew there was an Italian sausage stand!! 1/2 pound sausage on a bun for $6 -- waaaaayyyy better than the overpriced sausage dogs at professional baseball games.
See how big they are? Yeah, I was so hungry, I took a bite before I took a picture.
I got yelled at by the vendor for taking this picture of a bib with "spit happens" on it. =( mean old vendor.
For dessert, we had funnel cake, because you know, my new roommate never had funnel cake before and she has to try it at least once in her lifetime. I think I got her hooked. She also has a sweet tooth, like me, so I think we'll get along very well.
We were looking for green beer at the festival, but the only green liquid we saw was this fountain. No, we didn't drink it.
And below, pictures of Scottish bums. (get it?)


1 comment:

Erin said...

A foodie & you've never had fried pickles?!?

I'd suggest the fried pickles at the Blue Moose. They serve them w/ a great garlic-ranch sauce. Just be careful, they can burn your mouth.