Monday, August 25, 2008

last (summer) supper

I've been flying back and forth from SF to KC to SF to KC for the last couple of weeks: first to KC to move things back into my apartment and attend first day of classes; then a short trip back to SF to attend a job fair. Now I'm back in KC, for good, or until the December break.

Anyway, during my quick stint in SF, The Boy took me out to Malabar in Sacramento as a last-summer-supper sorta deal. It was a meal that would mark the end of my last summer vacation ever and that I was eight months closer to graduation.

We started off with the Three Cheese Garlic Bread appetizer, which comes with marinara sauce on the side. The combination of the cheeses (mozzerella, provolone and asiago) was not too rich and it was delicious. I didn't taste much of the garlic and I thought the bread was not as crunch as garlic bread should be. However, we only had half the portion, so I took the leftover garlic bread home as a dinner snack and it was super crispy when I re-heated it in the toaster oven.

We each ordered a half sandwich and soup combo: Turkey Club sandwich with fries. The Boy chose chowder for his soup, and I chose chili.
The Turkey Club was packed full of turkey, bacon and avocados. YUMMY! I had to open my mouth extra wide just to ensure that every bite had all the ingredients in it. I think this might be the best turkey club sandwich I have ever eaten. The bacon was extra crispy and there was plenty of it but not so much that the taste of pork fat overpowered everything else. The avocado was nice and fresh too. My descriptions are so good that I wish I was eating that sandwich again right now.
So The Boy had chowder as his choice of soup. He thought it was clam chowder but upon my further taste inspection, it was just potato and bacon chowder, no presence of any kind of seafood. It was rich and creamy, and quite filling with all the potatoes in it.
I had the chili as my soup of choice. There was pulled pork meat in the chili which gave the chili a different texture that I can't decide whether it was a good thing or a bad thing. There wasn't a lot of spice to the chili, but it was a nice dip for my fries (chili fries!). I enjoy The Boy's chowder more than I did my chili. The turkey club sandwich still tops it all.

And now back to my regularly scheduled boring old pack-your-own-sandwich-for-lunch lunches.

No comments: