Sunday, September 02, 2007

$6 eggs

I was at the Irish Fest yesterday and completely gorged on expensive fest food. $5 foot long Italian Sausage, $5 cherry lemonade, $5 funnel cake, and $6 Scotch egg. Yes, you read correctly. Six, 6, dollars for an egg. Not two, not three, just one single egg.

Well, okay. One single egg, split in half. That's like $3 for half an egg.
By now, you must be wondering what is a Scotch egg (or maybe you're wondering why I haven't had any Irish food since I was at an Irish Fest). Well, basically it's a hard boiled egg covered in pork sausage then deep fried.
... ... ... ...
There was a really long line in front of this food cart and we were wondering what everyone was in line for. We saw people walk away eating these rounds things, and the menu had "Scotch Egg" on it so we decided to fork over the $6 to try this "Scotch Egg".
... ... ... ...
I was expecting three eggs, or at least two eggs. What I got in exchange for my $6 was two halves of an egg. It was yummy, but it was a complete rip off. Come one now, $6 for ONE EGG? Theives!
... ... ... ...
When I got home from Irish Fest, I decided to make my own batch of Scotch Eggs for the small dinner party I was hosting the next day. For about $8, I got enough ingredients to make a dozen Scotch Eggs.

It was so yummy! And, the good part was that everyone at dinner was able to eat more than half an egg.
.... .... .... .... .... .... ....
Scotch Eggs:
Ingredients:
6 boiled eggs
1 lb pork sausage mixed with a little flour
1 raw egg, beaten
bread crumbs
How to:
Mix flour with sausage. Press sausage around the boiled eggs. Brush with raw beaten egg and dip in bread crumbs until covered. Fry until dark, golden brown. Serve on a plate of lettuce.

No comments: