Friday, August 15, 2008

prelude to Disney

Before we started our road trip down to Disney, I had to take the MPRE, we had tickets to the rivalry series Giants v. Dodgers, and I bought another batch of specialty cupcakes.

The Giants v. Dodgers game was fun and exciting, mostly because all the Giants fans were booing Manny Ramirez, the Dodgers' newly drafted ex-Red Sox player. And for some odd reason, I think there were a lot more Dodgers' fans in the stadium than there were Giants fans. The Boy, of course, rooted for the Dodgers (he roots for anyone playing against the Giants). I was just rooting for a hot dog.
It was also freaking cold at the game, and I even bought along an extra blanket! I guess Manny Ramirez is used to the weather though; he helped the Dodgers win 6-2.
After the game, we had ourselves some desserts from Kara's Cupcakes. Do these pictures look similar to you? Well, this time there was no dog in sight and I actually got to eat the cupcakes.



The selection of cupcakes included: Java (chocolate cupcake with a rich espresso buttercream); Passion Fruit (vanilla cupcake with passion fruit filling and vanilla buttercream); Banana Caramel (banana cupcake with caramel filling and silky cream cheese frosting); and Fleur De Sel (chocolate cupcake with caramel filling, ganache frosting and fleur de sel).

I was a bit disappointed with the filled cupcakes because there wasn't a lot of filling in each cupcake. The Boy took the initial bite and asked "Where's the caramel filling?" I took another bite and still didn't get any filling. There was like a shot of filling at the very top of the cupcake, and I couldn't taste it very much anyway.

The cake itself was moist, and the different frosting on each cupcake was DELICIOUS. I especially liked the Java cupcake because it wasn't too overwhelmed with a coffee taste, but had a nice enough hint that still made the overall cupcake sweet. The passion fruit cupcake was a little too tart for my liking, and the banana caramel was a nice balance of cake and banana bread. The Boy liked the Fleur De Sel, which had some kind of fancy chocolate frosting on it. It was a little bit too sweet for my liking.

There are still about a dozen flavors I have yet to try at Kara's Cupcakes. I guess that just means I need to do a cupcake run everytime I'm in San Francisco.

No comments: