Monday, August 11, 2008

road trip

This is a preview to a series of posts regarding our "love weekend" at Disneyland. I put "love weekend" here because The Boy's father has been teasing him about our last weekend together before the summer is over and I have to leave SF for good ole KC to finish school.

This "love weekend" was somewhat of a surprise to me. About three weeks ago, The Boy suggested that we go away somewhere to spend some quality time together for my last weekend of the summer. He said I could go anywhere within California or a 1 hour plane ride. So I made a list of places: Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Tahoe and San Diego. At this point, he nixed the idea of Disneyland because he didn't want to go a place that was crowded with hyper children.

Somewhere within the last two weeks, Vegas was nixed due to the high airfare and hotel (I felt guilty for choosing an expensive vacation since The Boy was footing the bill), Tahoe was nixed because I didn't think there was enough entertainment. So it was down to LA and San Diego for a weekend at the beaches, and I was working on mapping out the locations we could stay at or go to while we were down in Southern LA.

Then just a week ago, The Boy asks if I really really wanted to go to Disneyland, and if I did, he would make it happen. The downer was that we would be driving down to Anaheim, but if I was willing to drive, then Disneyland can come true. So we planned for Disneyland. Boy was I like a child hyped up on sugar the entire week leading up to the weekend.

Anyway, Disneyland is about a 6.5 hours drive from SF, if there is no traffic. I had to take the MPRE on Friday, and we also had tickets to a Giants v. Dodgers game on the same Friday night, so we decided to start driving down to SoCal at 2am. I was able to sleep for a couple of hours before we started our trip, so I started out the drive, and The Boy finished it out.

A six hour drive anywhere on a two lane highway is boring, especially this one I took by myself last year.

A six hour drive in the pitch of darkness is torture.

A six hour drive on two hours of sleep is pure hell.

Thank goodness there were two drivers or else I would have been sleeping at the side of the highway.

So then we got to our hotel in Anaheim at about 9am, and the hotel clerks wouldn't give us an early check-in because there were no available rooms. So what did we do? We freshened up in the restroom and headed straight for California Adventure, walking through the doors at 10am. We didn't leave until 9pm, and as soon as we checked into our hotel room, showered and got into bed, we immediately passed out as soon as our heads hit the pillow. I have never slept so fast and so deeply in my life, and I'm one who does not do well sleeping in strange beds.

After a good night's rest, the next morning started at 8am as we headed for a day at Disneyland Park, ending the fun at 11pm, and starting the drive back to SF immediately thereafter.

I dropped off The Boy at his place at 6:30am this morning, and then I got home and got into bed about half an hour later.

The Boy had to go to work today too. Although I didn't have to work, I had to pack up my room to get ready for my return to KC.

Let's just say we are both beat. No more road trips for me. I will require air travel only on future love weekends.

Stay tuned for some Disney tales and pictures...

No comments: