Sunday, August 17, 2008

Disney tales #3 - the rides

I'm pretty lame when it comes to the rides at amusement parks. I refuse to go on anything that has the potential for puking, so that pretty much means every adult ride with loops, speed, and anything that has a 50 feet drop like this one (Splash Mountain):



The Boy's favorite ride at California Adventure Park is "Soarin' Over California." While we were waiting in line, I kept asking him, "is this going to make me puke? is it like the Back to the Future ride at Universal Studios? I could handle that." He's not one for puking rides either, so I was less uneasy about taking part in rides he said that we "can't miss out" on.

The "Soarin' Over California" ride was pretty cool, and no puke potential at all. Everyone is seated in a giant hang-glider and the ride is basically over a giant video screen. I felt like I was really hang-gliding with the wind blowing in my air and even the smell of fresh flowers. We flew over all the great sights of California: the Golden Gate Bridge, Yosemite, SoCal beaches, etc.
I will usually try to go on the Ferris Wheel at any amusement park just so I could get a good view of the entire park. This Ferris Wheel here, however, had a special addition to it - swinging gondolas. If you look closely, you'll see that most of the gondolas are on tracks that are shaped in an oval, which means that as the wheel moves, the gondolas also move along the oval-shaped tracks, thus "swinging".
Um yeah, we nixed that idea and opted to sit in the non-swinging gondolas. Like I said, I'm a wimp.
While we were on the Ferris Wheel, I was able to get a picture of the Scream ride, the roller coaster that goes around the Mickey Mouse loop. The Boy said we needed to build up courage for this ride, and fortunately for me, neither of us had enough courage to actually go on it.


Here are people screaming at the launch.


I believe this is a picture of the Mattahorn in Disneyland Park (view from California Adventure Park). I did agree to go on this ride -- it's a fast bob-sled roller coaster around some tunnels and water. I screamed the entire time while holding onto the handles for dear life.

The ride that did me in was "Space Mountain", the roller coaster that goes around in circles in a darkened room with flashing lights to make you think you're going through space. I was okay for the first thirty seconds leading up to the launch because it was going pretty slow and the space lights were pretty for a moment. Then came the launch and it started going around in circles and bends and more circles, I had to close my eyes because the combination of lights and the speed was making me nauseous. I did scream the entire time though. The Boy asked how I liked the ride and all I could say was, "I had my eyes shut the entire time." He said I was a wimp. I already said that I was.

No comments: