Tuesday, September 30, 2008

int'l Tuesday nights

So there's Awesome Pizza Fridays, and Wednesday night dinners when I'm within city limits of The Boy. Now, there's International Tuesdays -- where a group of us from my Transnational Litigation class go out to have dinner right after class. This class meets once a week on Tuesdays, from 3:15 to 5:05, so by the time class is over, I'm starving because on Tuesdays I eat lunch at 11:00 and don't eat anything else until dinnertime. So one day, I said to CC "Let's go eat, I'm starving" and then AM overheard and said he was starving too, so then we grabbed CSC and all headed out to dinner. And that's how this group came up with International Tuesdays.
...
We've only been to three restaurants so far. First, it was Vietnam Cafe (really yummy Vietnamese food); then last week we had sushi at Kona Grill. Today, it was Thai at Lulu's.

Above: Panang Curry; Below: Shrimp Pad Thai, Hot.


At Lulu's, you get your choice of spice level -- mild, medium, hot or blazing. The last time I ate here with CC, I asked "how hot is blazing hot?" and the waiter said that he could handle blazing with no problem at all. And because the waiter was white, I mistakenly assumed that if he could eat that much spice, then I should be okay. Was I burned for that assumption - no pun intended. I ordered my pad thai "blazing hot" and I was paying for it--I was crying after eating half the dish and even stopped eating because it was literally burning my tongue.
...
I learned my lesson. This time around, I ordered "hot" and it was just the right amount of spicy that I like. And now I'm stuffed because I probably should have stopped eating halfway through the meal (we also had appetizers of crab rangoon and steamed veggie dumplings).

No comments: