Tuesday, September 16, 2008

u pick fruit

Like clockwork, my mom calls me around this time to ask me the same question year after year: "When are the Asian pears ready for picking?" You'd think after half a decade of answering the same question that I would remember the schedule by heart. But I don't, and I end up having to go online to google for the name of the farm with Asian pears for picking.

For those of you in the Boston area, the Lookout Farm in South Natick/Wellesley, MA is a great place to spend a day if you want to enjoy fresh air and gorge on fruit fresh off the tree. All trees are as tall as an average adult human so no ladder required for picking! There's an admission price, but then you're allowed to each as much fruit while you're in the orchards (just don't waste fruit). And if you want to leave the premises with fruit, it's $2.50 a pound. Here's the picking schedule:
The last time I visited the farm was my senior year in college (which was like eons ago). Since then, I've moved away from good ole Boston and the only times I pay a visit to my family is during Thanksgiving and Lunar New Year, both of which fall on months that the farm has no fruit for picking.

I kinda miss the experience. We found an orchard in the KC area last year, but due to the frost, there were no apples to pick. Which now makes me wonder: more often than not, Boston is usually pretty cold in April and sometimes it even snows, so why does the Lookout Farm always have crop every single year?


The fruit pictures I have here are not fruits from the Lookout Farm, because obviously, I am no where near Boston. These are fruits that were from the Mooncake Festivity I took part in the past weekend.

No comments: