Saturday, September 06, 2008

ethiopian food first

CC and I wanted to try out something new and we decided on having dinner at an Ethiopian restaurant in downtown KC, the Blue Nile Cafe. Our friends who recommended the place all said it was a really good restaurant with really good food, and just make sure we really wash our hands because everyone eats with their hands.
I think the waiter thought we were afraid of using our hands, so he gave us each a fork. I was really thankful for that fork. Because I don't think I could have eaten with just my hands, even if it was just CC as my dinner mate.
...
Anyway, on to the food. As an appetizer, we had the Beef Sambosa, "a pastry filled with lean ground beef flavored with herbs and spices." If you've had Indian food before, this is also known as a Samosa. I really liked the dipping sauce, and the fact that these sambosas were fried added to the tastiness of it too.

For our entree, we shared a Meat Combo platter, which consists of: Gomen (fresh collard greens - far left of plate); Misar Witt (organic red lentils - far right); Atiklett (cabbage mixed with potatoes - center); Doro Watt (chicken - top); and Tibbs Watt (beef - bottom). You must be thinking the same thing we were thinking: "Where's the rest of the meat?" I guess you can't always be 100% meatatarian.
Our entree was served with a plate of Injera, this doughy, porous kind of flat bread. You're supposed to tear off pieces of the bread and use that to pinch portions of the chicken/beef/potatoes/etc. into the piece of bread and eat it. I guess one would use their fingers to push food onto the bread if the pinching method doesn't work.

...

Anyway, like I said, we had forks, so we used our forks to scoop up meat/veggies into our pieces of bread.


My least favorite genre of Asian food is South Indian food, and this Ethiopian food is similar to Indian food, so you can probably guess that it wasn't exactly my cup of tea (oh, the iced spiced tea they served was pretty good). I think Indian food has more flavor than this too, so I was not too impressed.

Although I didn't like it too much, at least now I can say that I tried Ethiopian food. You gotta try everything at least once.

No comments: