Sunday, June 22, 2008

wednesday night dinners

Everyday for lunch, I usually just have a tuna salad sandwich on whole wheat bread. That's it. For five days a week. Once in a long while, I'll splurge and actually go out and get something else for lunch. Then for dinner, I'll nuke a frozen Smart Ones and have a piece of fruit (if there's any). I don't cook dinner because it's not my kitchen and there's not much for me to cook with anyway. And the frozen entrees are pretty good...I just hope I don't die from an overload of sodium.

So, I look forward to Wednesday nights, because that's when The Boy takes me out to a restaurant of my choice and I get to spend some quality time with him while gorging on real food (emphasis on spending time with The Boy and NOT on eating food). Why Wednesdays? It's the date-in-the-middle-of-the-week-before-the-weekend-dates.

Since I've been back in SF for the summer, we've eaten at: my favorite Chinese restaurant, Koi Palace; really good pizza joint, Haystack; and most recently Chevys.


I love the fact that Chevys provides a neverending basket of chips and salsa. I usually get through one basket before our food comes, and then they bring out another basket of chips for me to munch on throughout dinner. The salsa is really good too.
I usually get the Chicken Flautas meal with refried beans and rice. I also get an extra side of tamalita (the sweet corn meal) because I just love the stuff. This dish comes with habanero sauce, but it's not as spicy as it sounds; it's more sweet than spicy. I still have to add hot sauce to it. And because I eat about a pound of chips and salsa before my dinner arrives, I can only finish half the plate and then I have to take home the other half (leftovers are not always good the next day).
The Boy had Fajita Nachos, and I ate all the jalapenos on his plate. The steak on the nachos were really nice and tender, and even though the "toppings" were baked right on the nacho chip, the chip wasn't soggy at all - it was still quite crispy.

After dinner, we walked around the mall to digest a bit before heading home. As we were walking through, we saw a Haagen Dazs store and I was estatic to see they had cupcakes! I didn't immediately go in and get one. We walked around a bit more and then it was closing time. So on the way out of the mall, we passed by Haagen Dazs again and The Boy insisted I should try one of the ice-cream cupcakes.


You don't need to twist my arm to get me to eat dessert. I had a mint-chocolate chip ice-cream cupcake with whip cream and chocolate sprinkles on top. The idea of ice-cream cupcakes was more thrilling than the actual eating of it. It's basically just a miniature size ice-cream cake, and so I had to wait for the ice-cream to thaw a bit because it was rock rock. Once the ice-cream was soft enough to eat, it was DE-LIC-I-OUS!

Hmm, what's next on my list for the next Wednesday night dinner...

No comments: