Friday, July 04, 2008

my new summer love

I LOVE MANGOES!! I especially love these champagne mangoes. They are sooooooo sweet!

There's this market on 23rd Street and Mission Street in San Francisco that sells the freshest produce. I usually stop by the market before I start my walk home from BART. First, I bought only two to see how they tasted. They were so sweet, I ate both as my dessert for dinner that evening.

So then I would buy about six or eight mangoes at a time because I can't do a half hour walk with three pounds of mangoes on my shoulders. I'm beginning to think the cashier knows who I am and exactly what time I stop by.

I think I've eaten about one a day for the last couple of weeks. I would have eaten more but then I ran out of mangoes since I could only walk home with eight mangoes at a time (they get too heavy for a half hour walk).



The Boy's granny made a request for some mangoes. I bought her eight. When I gave her the bag, she immediately took one out and ate it. Then I ate one for dinner, so there's six mangoes left when I went to bed. The next day when I got home from work, there were only two mangoes left. Yep, that's right. Granny ate four during the 12 hours that I was out of the house.

Since I didn't have to work this morning because of the holiday, I went and bought two boxes of mangoes. Yes, you read right - TWO BOXES. There were 18 mangoes in a box and each box was $7. That's $0.38 cents a mango! Score!


Before you think I am a total mango piggy, I share my mangoes. The Boy's grandmother and mother both loves the mangoes as much as I do. So I gave one box to his mother, and the second box to his grandmother. And because his granny is my roommate for the summer, I get to share in the eating of the delicious mangoes.

Although, I left Granny with a box of 18 mangoes, I wonder how many will be left when I get back into town on Sunday...

1 comment:

Tia said...

Ooooh, I LOVE champagne mangoes!!! I ate all 6 of them at a time once and felt guilty afterward. I would have eaten more if I could. Yummeh!