Saturday, July 12, 2008

crabcakes and lemonades

Our midweek dinner date was at Paragon this week. I have never heard of the restaurant and The Boy has heard good things about it, so since he was working late and I was downtown to meet him, we'd thought we'd give it a try.

The Boy has been working really long hours this past week due to a trial he's working on, so he was ready for a margarita. I didn't want him to drink alone so I tried their Basil Lemonade with vodka. The drink was just basically lemonade and vodka with fresh basil leaves mashed in. When they brought it to the table, I thought it was a mojito because that's what it looked like.

It was quite tasty, however, the basil left this weird aftertaste and I had a strange texture on my teeth all night. I had to brush my teeth just to get rid of the feeling. It was a bit like cotton mouth but not exactly. I think a Mint Lemonade with vodka would have been much better tasting and refreshing, and might not have given that weird feeling afterwards.
The Boy had the crabcakes and a side of baked macaroni and cheese. I had the roasted chicken that came with spinach and a side of baked mac and cheese. The crab cakes were a little overdone but it was pretty good. I've had better. There were cherry tomatoes in the salad and The Boy kept feeding it to me, even when I asked if he was trying to give me salmonella poisoning. Of course, I didn't stop eating the cherry tomatoes either...they were really good!
The roast chicken was really juicy and tender. I was still a bit full from my baseball gorging, so I picked at the chicken (fed some to The Boy) and ate all of the cooked spinach (I needed my veggies for the day). I usually don't like to eat cooked vegetables, I like my veggies raw, but the spinach was soaked in garlic or something because I couldn't stop eating it. And the baked mac and cheese was so creamy and delicious, I would have eaten the whole thing if I wasn't so full from lunch. Good thing for doggy bags. I guess I'll have the leftover mac and cheese and half the chicken for a snack later today.

No comments: