Sunday, July 27, 2008

a lesson about fig fruits

Me: Honey, guess what your mother taught me today.


The Boy: What'd she teach you?


Me: How to tell when a fig fruit is ripe and ready to be picked from the tree.

The Boy: Oh yeah? How do you tell when a fig fruit is ready?


Me: When it's dark colored and "drops like an old man's balls."


The Boy: Say what?


Me: Word per word, that's what your mother told me.


The Boy: I think I also heard that before too.


Me: I've never heard of it. So she showed me what a ripe fig looks like.


The Boy: Oh yeah, what does a fig that dropped like an old man's balls look like?
Above -- Ripe fig. Below -- not quite so ripe fig.
These figs haven't "dropped" yet, so they're not quite ready.
Same as these, they haven't dropped...

Below -- Here's one that's ready!

This one below still needs to drop a little more... This one below is getting spoiled, so it dropped a long time ago and needs to be fed to the birds.
A fig that has dropped but the color doesn't look right so it could stay on the tree for another day or two.
The Boy: Interesting. So now you have an idea of what old man's balls look like.
Me: Eww, that is so out of context. I can't look at a fig the same way ever again.

No comments: