Friday, July 25, 2008

got crabs?

We went to Fisherman's Wharf at Pier 39 for our outing tonight and had dinner at the Crab House. The busboys were wearing black t-shirts with the words "got crabs?" on the front, and "Crab House at Pier 39" on the back. I wonder if the t-shirt has the same meaning if one were to wear it outside of San Francisco, let's say in Kansas City?

Anyway, the resturant had really cute, okay more like funny, decor inside. There were painted crabs everywhere, hanging all along the walls and even on the ceilings.
Each crab was a unique, creative design... see, this one is a fairy crab.
We started out with an appetizer of crab cakes, which were $14.95 (holy crap that's expensive!!). In my opinion, the crab cakes would have been better without the white sauce on top (I think it was supposed to be tartar sauce but it didn't quite taste like that to me -- it was more mayonnaise). The Boy, however, really like the white sauce, so I just lopped the sauce off of my crab cake and let him dip his in it. The pickled veggies underneath was delicious though.
The Boy doesn't like seafood much, so he ordered a burger and garlic fries. Boring, yes I know, but he was indulging my cravings for an eight legged crustacean creature (the fries were really YUMMY - nice and cruncy!).
I ordered the 1 lb killer dungeness crab roasted in garlic butter sauce. I was so excited for my crab dinner. I had my very own plastic bib! I was super anxious to see how big the crab would be...
...and to both The Boy's and my surprise, this was all that came out. We both looked at each other and asked, at the same time, "Where's the rest of the crab?"


You see, I'm used to eating crab dinners at Chinese restaurants, where they serve the crab whole, entire shell and all. And they usually sell by the whole crab, not the pound (they charge by the pound, but you order by the crab). So we were a bit surprised when an actual 1 pound of crab came out. I figured this was only half a crab because there was only one claw and four little legs.

...
It was still finger licking good, nonetheless. And since it wasn't an entire crab, I didn't take five hours to finish picking out every single piece of meat.

...

Our sunset view of the Bay during dinner...isn't it pretty?

After our meal at the Crab House, we wanted to get some Kara's Cupcakes at Ghiradelli Square but I wasn't sure if the store was open until 9 or 9:30, and it was close to 9pm when we left the restaurant. We decided to walk over there anyway with the hope that the cupcake store closes at 9:30.



We did a really fast walk over to Ghiradelli Square, which still took about 10 minutes to walk over. As soon as we got there, the doors to Kara's Cupcakes were locked and the two workers inside were packing up the cupcakes into boxes. I signalled to them to open the door, but they wouldn't -- they made hand signals that they were closed. I gave them my puppy dog eyes to see if they would make an exception, since it was ONLY ten minutes after closing and they were still there WITH cupcakes still available - you'd think they'd want to make a sale. But no, those two workers just would not open the door for me.
...
**side note -- The Boy's firm at one time ordered 500 cupcakes from Kara's Cupcakes. Yep, 500. They were celebrating 500 attorneys or something like that. He tasted one and actually LIKED them, and he's not one for sweets. So he recommended that I try their cupcakes. I bought half a dozen cupcakes from there one time last year, but they were a gift for a friend and so I didn't get a chance to taste them (time constraints or something that prevented me from eating one). And now again, I missed a chance to try their specialty cupcakes. I've got two more weeks to make another attempt at purchasing them...
...
So we walked over to Ghiradelli's Ice Cream and Chocolate shop and got some free chocolate samples. Cupcakes will have to wait until another day.
And now I'm ready for my food coma.
...
Good night!

No comments: