Thursday, July 31, 2008

i'm so spoiled

The Boy and I had dinner at our favorite Chinese restaurant tonight, Koi Palace, and we did some damage! The Boy normally doesn't eat as much as I do and I was surprised he wanted to order an extra dish in addition to our usual three. He must have been pretty hungry, or he skipped lunch or something.

Anyway, we ALWAYS order the Honey Walnut Prawns. Whoever invented this dish deserves to go to heaven if they're not already there. Whoever thought shrimp, mayonnaise and honey walnuts would taste so well together? When I first heard of this dish many years ago (summer of 2001 in Taiwan), I did not think mayonnaise and shrimp was a good combo, mostly because I hate mayo. Was I wrong! I became addicted after my first bite, and have been a loyal fan of the dish ever since. However, there are places that can still screw up this dish, so we normally don't order this dish unless we know for certain the restuarant knows how to cook it. We have a list of restaurants where we don't order this dish because it's not prepared correctly and just tastes fishy and bad.
Okay, on to our next dish...we usually get Chicken Chow Mein, but The Boy was in the mood for fried rice tonight, so I ordered the Yan Chow Fried Rice, which is just basically combination fried rice with shrimp, chicken, bbq pork, fried eggs and green onions. It was light and not greasy, and it was yummy in my tummy.
The extra dish we ordered tonight was the Potstickers. Everytime I order potstickers, The Boy always ask "what's the difference between a potsticker and a wonton?" And I always reply that there's really no difference except that wontons are in soup and potstickers are fried, and they're all really some form of dumplings anyway. These potstickers were made of pork and mushrooms, and tasted even better when dipped in vinegar sauce (and chili sauce for me!).
And finally, our usual Peking Porkchops. Crispy, sweet and tangy all in one dish. I love this dish, but I always have to have floss on hand whenever I eat this dish because I always get meat stuck in my teeth and I really hate having things being stuck in my teeth for too long. Thank goodness for individual floss packets that fit neatly into my purse (or even a wallet!).
You're probable wondering if the two of us actually ate all of this. Don't be so surprised (*insert sarcarsam*) but we didn't finish it all. About half of the fried rice and a third of the porkchops were packed up in a doggy bag. Still, we finished the entire plate of potstickers and honey walnut prawns, which is A LOT for two people, especially when one (The Boy) eats like a bird.

I am going to have major food withdrawal when I go back to KC in two weeks. I'm going to miss all this good food.

No comments: