Saturday, September 19, 2009

weekend of burgers

A classmate mentioned it was National Hamburger Day yesterday and so we had to go out and get ourselves a burger. (I just checked to see if this was true, and the burger holiday is either May 28 or June 28, so definitely it wasn't yesterday).

We decided to go to a local place that my roommate kept raving about -- Ray's Hellburger. My roommate is a vegetarian, so I didn't understand why she liked this hamburger place so much. Turns out she is in love with the grilled cheese sandwich plus all her favorite toppings of jalapenos, pickles, lots of cheese, some spicy green sauce, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting to mention. (image below).

I decided to go with the "Diablo" burger, cooked all the way through, with applewood bacon. This is a 10oz burger, people, and it was HUGE. Somehow, I managed to eat the entire thing. The "Diablo" part of the burger is this spicy "diablo" sauce that is smeared over the burger. I'm not exactly sure what's in the spicy sauce, but it gave a nice kick to my bacon burger. Sadly, this place doesn't serve fries, but instead there is a slice of watermelon included with every order of burgers. Even without the fries, the burger was delicious, and I kept moaning with pleasure each time I took a bite. It was probably a good thing there were no fries because I was stuffed to the gills from finishing the burger. Definitely a place to come back again for burgers.
Upon reading reviews for Ray's Hellburger, I discovered that Pres. Obama and VP Biden ate here back in May. According to the article, Obama just really wanted a hamburger and he wanted it at Ray's Hellburger. Of course, when Obama goes out to eat, an entire motorcade of assistants, security and media follow. He also bought everyone who was there a burger. What a nice guy!

* * * * *

After a long day of shopping with AL today, we decided to try out Five Guys Burgers and continue with our burger festivities. We decided on Five Guys because it was right across the street from Target where we had just finished shopping, and The Boy always told me to try out Five Guys because it's the In-N-Out of the East Coast. The set-up was similar, the menu was kinda similar, and the food...well, read on, shall we?

I ordered the mini-bacon burger because I didn't want to stuff myself again, and thinking a mini-burger was probably small in size. I also ordered a "regular" size of fries and a soda.

So, below is an image of my soda and bag in the food. At Five Guys, they don't ask if you're dining in or taking it to go. Every order is put into a bag.


This is the inside of my bag -- yep, it's full of fries. I don't know where the hamburger is buried.

I had to tear apart the bag just to get to the burger.

And there is my mini-bacon burger with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and jalapenos. Looks kinda big, eh? Well, it was big. It wasn't a 10oz hamburger, but it was a mini either.
I liked the hamburger from Five Guys, but it wasn't spectacular. I didn't moan with pleasure like I normally do when eating good food. The jalapenos were super spicy, though, gotta give that them. And the fries were not so good. Although they claim to make fries from fresh potatoes, it was not good. It was not crispy and it was pretty greasy. I only managed to eat a quarter of all the fries you see above because I didn't like it and I was kinda full from finishing the burger.

Bottom line -- In-N-Out still rules.

No comments: