Tuesday, September 22, 2009

cooking vegetarian

Ever since I've been in DC, I have either gone out to eat, or go out with others to eat. The only home cooked meal I had was when my roomie decided to make some lentils for dinner. Well, I finally cooked at home this weekend, and since the roomie is a vegetarian, I had to improvise.

I decided to make Mapo Tofu (spicy tofu) the easy way -- i.e., pre-made sauce in a package (and who knew you could buy this stuff on Amazon!). I don't have a lot of sauces in my kitchen yet, so it was just easier to do it this way. And mapo tofu usually requires ground pork, but I just omitted it for this occasion. The never-fail method tasted great!


The second dish I made was just a bunch of veggies thrown together to make stir-fry. I bought a pineapple a week ago and it was getting ripe, so I had to come up with ways to eat it. What better than to add pineapples to a stir-fry dish?

This stir-fry consisted of broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, green bell pepper, birds eye chili pepper, and chunks of pineapple. Throw in some soy sauce, salt, and sugar to taste, and you're good to go.
We also had some rice with the dishes, of course. I'm craving some eggrolls, so I guess I'll have to look up a vegetarian eggroll recipe.

No comments: