Saturday, September 26, 2009

lines, lines, everywhere standing in line

I really hate waiting in lines that are a gazillion people deep. Especially waiting in line for something that is worthwhile...like a free flu shot from school (I wouldn't say it's exactly free but included in my $60k tuition).

For the flu shot, I thought I would be in line for at least an hour, because there was a gazillion of people in front of me. To my surprise, as soon as the doors opened at 11am (I was in line at 10:59am), the line started moving fairly quickly. After ten minutes of waiting/moving down the line, a few people even had the courtesy to jump in front of me and acted as if they had been in line since the beginning.**

**side story**

The Boy, his father, stepmother and I were having a conversation about how old Asian women always cut in front of people everywhere they go. In supermarkets, in bookstores, in shopping malls, whereever there is a checkout line, an old Asian woman will find it is her right to be in front of you even if you were already in line first.

I argued that the only reason they think that old Asian women cut in lines all the time is because they live in San Francisco, Asian capitol on this side of the West Coast (okay, maybe the entire West Coast is Asian capitol of the US). They don't see anyone else cut in line because the majority of the people in San Francisco are Asians. Thus, you would more likely see an Asian person cutting in front of you in line.

I made this argument because I believe that anyone and every one will cut in line if the person they're cutting in front of allows them to, regardless of their skin color. I said that old women like to cut in front of me at the grocery store in Kansas City, and they weren't Asian at all.

So, to make my point even further, there were three women who blatantly cut in front of me while I standing in line for the flu shot. They were an African American, a Latino, and a Filipino. Okay, so there was one Asian lady in there, but still, you get my point.

**

In total, I think I waited in line for approximately 20 minutes from start to finish. Once you got a number card, it went fairly quickly. You sit down, nurse rubs alcohol patch on your arm, pokes you without warning, slaps a band-aid on you and sends on your way. You like my Garfield badge of courage?
***** ***** *****

The next line I had to stand in was for Maroon 5 tickets to their Back to School Tour (oddly, their website doesn't list GWU as a concert location, so now I'm wondering if they canceled and I just wasted my time and money...).

This picture below was where I started to wait in line, on the 4th floor!!!
Floor 2 at 30 minutes into waiting.
Ground Floor at 45 minutes of waiting...and now I can see the ticket counter.
50 minutes and still waiting...I'm so close!!
After an hour of waiting, SUCCESS!! Six tickets in hand and $180 poorer.
I do hope that they didn't cancel the GWU leg of their tour. If they did, I better get my money back!

No comments: