Sunday, September 06, 2009

national zoo

Starting off the long holiday weekend, I went to the Smithsonian National Zoo on Friday. I was hoping that the by going on a weekend, even if it was a Friday, that there would not be a ton of people and screaming children at the park. Fortunately, the zoo was not packed at all. However, most of the animals were missing in action too.

This here is a sloth bear, the same bear that is called Balou in the movie, The Jungle Book.
These are sleeping otters. I have never seen otters sleeping. I usually see them swimming around and jumping in and out of the pool.
Here's one of the famous giant pandas.
The other one is hiding in the shade of the trees. Well, more like he's sleeping in the shade.
There were plenty of bees and wasps flying around the zoo.
I found it odd that this octopus was right up front and center. Usually, they like hiding in the crack or a dark corner of the tank.
This is what I tell people all the time! Not to call me a pig!!

Under this white sheet is a sleeping orangutan.
I loved these giant hibiscus flowers. They were the size of my head! It was such a pretty color, and a sweet smell too.
This fish was just funny to look at so I had to take a picture of it. It was like he was staring at me with his googly eyes.

The sign was true! I took a picture of the sign, looked up and there was a monkey in front of me.
I was a little disappointed with many of the exhibit closures and animals being in hiding somewhere, but it was still a fun day at the zoo.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your pics! the panda is so cute!!!
here a great find for panda fanatic!
Flor (floreshayes@gmail.com)
hkpanda.freetzi.com