Wednesday, January 07, 2009

still stuck in 2008

I am done sharing Disney tales and am now beginning to update about food again. So I'm backing up into 2008 and sharing pics of Christmas and NYE dinner.
I took these two pictures because I was bored at dinner and it was the centerpiece. Why was bored? Prime rib was the main course and being that I don't eat bleeding meat, I quickly finished my double helping of salad and thus sat waiting for everyone to finish before I could start on dessert. Anyway, back to the picture, I was messing around with the macro feature on my camera, and then playing with the light of the candle. Pretty good photo art, if I do say so myself.

These two pictures are of the appetizers. Above is a combo platter of roast beef w/ tomato on baguette, and the center dish is a shrimp based spread that goes on the plain baguette. Bottom is a platter of walnut spinach artichoke dip served with slices of baguette bread. My favorite was the artichoke dip, but it probably would have tasted even better if served with chips instead of bread.

Now for dinner...above is the salad that I had double portions of. Below is just a snapshot of baked potatoes in foil, dinner rolls, and a fruit salad. I had the fruit salad for breakfast the morning after Christmas. I shared a baked potato with The Boy. We both had two dinner rolls each (well, I didn't get any protein!).
And below is a picture of the protein - prime rib cooked medium well. Some of you may be thinking that the meat doesn't look rare at all, but if you know me, I will not - repeat WILL NOT - eat anything red meat that is still bleeding when I cut into it. Initially, I was served a slice that was "really really cooked." However, upon cutting into it, it started bleeding so I gave my slice to The Boy. Ditto for when I made a second attempt at a piece of rib that looked burnt on the outside (but still bleeding on the inside!).
And then came dessert - yummmmmmmy. The Boy's sister made - from scratch - pineapple carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. Ohmygosh, the cake was so moist and pineapple added a nice tartness to it. I contributed a couple of pumpkin cheesecake with whip cream (cheesecake also made from scratch - recipe to follow). The cheesecake recipe I got called for orange zest, so there was a slight taste of citrus to the pumpkin cheesecake. Everyone raved about the desserts. No one would pick a favorite.
Onto New Year's Eve dinner, hosted and prepared by one of The Boy's best friends.
For an appetizer, another friend in the group arranged some goat cheese slathered with fig preserves and surrounded by slices of proscuitto. This concoction was served with wheat thins. I don't like goat cheese, but if covered enough with the fig preserves, I can barely taste it!
The Boy's friend initially told us that he was preparing roast beef for dinner. Upon taking the beef out of the oven, however, he discovered that the butcher actually gave him pork instead, so we ended up with roasted pork tenderloins served with lobster ravioli with a cream sauce. Pork is not my favorite, but it was good nonetheless. I am still remember the succulent taste of the lobster ravioli, and want to know where he got them so I can get some for myself. There was actually a taste of lobster in every bite.

Home cooked meals are always tastier because they're prepared with TLC. =)

No comments: