Saturday, October 25, 2008

tengo mexicana

Being going to the Janet Jackson concernt last night (more to come in separate post), my roomie and I went to the Power & Light District for dinner last night. She never had Mexican food before, so we decided to try out Tengo sed Cantina, the only Mexican restaurant at the Power & Light (or one that I knew of).

Can you believe that my roommate does not like chips and salsa? She doesn't like chips at all! Oh it was horrible to see that whole basket of chips just sitting there. I had my fair portion of chips and salsa, but didn't really make a dent into the basket.
I decided to order something tame for the first time Mexcian food eater, so I ordered her a chicken burrito. She seemed to enjoy it (she ate the whole thing!).
As for myself, I had the steak tacos. I let the roomie taste the Spanish rice and refried beans. She didn't like the beans, and she said the rice tastes like rice except it's red. I believe Spanish rice has a hint of tomato in it, yes? Well, I devoured the steak tacos (with extra hot sauce). The steak was good, but the way they layered the tacos one on top of the other made the tortilla really gooey, which wasn't so good. I ended up eating the tacos with a fork instead of being able to hold it in my hands.
So for dessert, we had the Fried Ice-Cream - which was a major disappointment. The portion, on the other hand, was huge, and we couldn't finish it. Although, I think it was more that the ice-cream wasn't tasty enough for us to finish the whole thing, because you know me, I haven't had chocolate for three weeks so I should be wolfing down the vanilla ice-cream. The "fried" part wasn't really fried either, and was yet again kinda gooey doughy. I think that they just fry the ice-cream in advance and then put the dish in the freezer until serving.
And as we were walking over to the Sprint Center for the Janet Jackson concert, there was also a band playing in the courtyard. I have no idea who was playing, but they sounded pretty good. If we didn't already have a concert to go to, I'd sit and listen to the band while sipping on a martini or something.

No comments: