Thursday, October 16, 2008

beef ribs

On the spur of the moment today, my roommate and I decided to blow off homework and walk to the Plaza in search of baby clothes (for a baby shower!). After oogling over adorable baby clothes, we made our purchases and started our walk back home. Along the way, my stomach was growling and I saw Jack Stacks and asked my roommate if she had a chance to try out barbeque yet (my roommate is another international student from China and this is her first time in the US). She hadn't tried barbeque yet, so we decided to have dinner at Jack Stacks.

After waiting for half an hour, we still were not seated at a table, but fortunately, I walked into the bar area and found an empty table. So I gave the vibrating thing back to the hostess and told her we'd eat in the bar. I ordered the "Dinner for Two" Slab of Beef Ribs. OH. MY. GOSH. It is NOT a dinner for two, not even for someone with my appetite. It was more like a dinner for four.

*little side note -- I didn't have my camera on me, so I had to use my camera phone to take these pictures, which is why the quality is not so good and the food doesn't look as appetizing as it really was.*
Our ginormous dinner came with a side of cole slaw for each of us...
Above is the giant plate of beef ribs. I never had beef ribs before; I always order pork baby back ribs. It's a different taste, obviously because it's beef, but the meat was so tender it was falling off the bone. Plus, the size of these beef ribs were quadruple the size of baby back ribs. There was a group of older men staring at us while we were eating our dinner. Two men finally had the courage to come up to our table and asked us, "Are you two really going to be able to finish all that?" I told him not to encourage me or else I would finish it just to prove a point. Fortunately for me, the group of men went away shortly thereafter and I didn't have to force myself to eat it all.
The dinner also came with a side of baked beans. And I ordered an extra side dish -- baked cheesy corn, because I just wanted to try it out. Cheesy corn is yummy! Oh, the dinner also came with a side of french fries, which I promptly devoured half of as soon as the plate hit the table.
Here's a snapshot of our entire table.
And here's the carcus of our dinner. There was a total of 9 beef ribs. I ate two and considered myself defeated. My roommie had three because she was enjoying herself.

It was a good thing we both had to walk home afterwards! (approx. 15 mins walk) And as I write this post, I feel like I just ate a quarter of a cow.

No comments: