Monday, October 30, 2006

my addiction to chips and salsa

Okay, The Boy would really say that I'm addicted to all things food, but we're going to limit the category to chips and salsa for the purpose of today's story...

Lunch during the weekdays usually consist of a turkey sandwich and a handful of chips. Normally, I would take a handful of some Doritoes or Pringles and be done with it. However, on days that I like to spice things up with salsa, I get into the problem of the vicious chips-n-salsa cycle: continuous eating of chips and salsa until either the chips run out or the salsa runs out -- whichever comes first.

You would think I'd have more control over this vicious cycle, but sadly, I do not have any control when it comes to spicy salsa and salty, crunchy chips (I have noticed that my chip consumption increases significantly according to the saltiness of the chip). If I had a new jar of salsa in front of me with a new bag of chips, I'd probably sit there and eat it all if permitted to do so. Fortunately (or unfortunately?), I am never presented with a new jar of salsa or a new bag of chips at the same time, therefore when one jar or bag is empty, I am forced to stop eating the combo. And The Boy will usually take the platter of chips and salsa away from me whenever we're at a Mexican restaurant that serves never ending chips and salsa because he knows I will never leave the table.

Well, okay, today I decided to have chips and salsa with my turkey sandwich. I only had half a jar of salsa and 1/4 bag of chips left but I wanted to be good about my portion today. I took a handful of chips and put it next to my sandwich, and poured only a tiny bit of salsa into a bowl for dipping.

I ate the turkey sandwich. I ate the portioned amount of chips and salsa. I had my glass of cranberry juice. I was full and satisfied.

But we all know I can't just stop at satisfied. I poured some more salsa into the bowl, took another handful of chips and continued chomping as I was watching Michelle use her hands to make a peanut butter sandwich on Full House. And when that ran out, I took another handful of chips and poured some more salsa into the dipping bowl.

And the only reason I stopped eating the chips and salsa was because I finished the 1/4 bag of chips I had left, leaving me with no more chips to dip. Which was good because now I have to finish the reading for criminal law.

No comments: