Saturday, August 12, 2006

week in review

so yeah, here I am in Kansas City, Missouri (or MO for short), and I'm finally in my own room in my new apartment with my new roommate and my very own bathroom (score!). I just finished unpacking everything too. All my clothes are folded and my shoes are stacked neatly away in the closet. I've got sheets on my brand new bed. I've got no internet hookup yet, but am hoping that I can finish this blog before I lose my mooching connection on someone else's wireless.

So, here goes...the week in review:

--getting up at 3 am to get ready for the airport sucks. knowing that I'm not the only person to get up that early to get to a flight makes it a little better.

--even though getting up at 3am should make you tired enough to sleep on the plane, you can't because the first half of the flight is only an hour and a half, then you have to lug your stuff off the plane and get onto another plane in Phoenix, then you're seated next to a baby who won't stop crying, and before you know it, you're already in Kansas City downing a red bull to keep from falling asleep while driving to your friend's sister's house for the night.

--wearing a tanktop will get you a free upgrade from a mid-size car to an SUV. and the Enterprise guy will not take no for an answer.

--call the Boy four times during the first four hours in Kansas City.

--to get from the airport to Overland Park, you have to switch between three different interstates and then highways, and a bunch of other streets, get back on the interstate, switch to some more highways, and finally reach it. Then do all that over again to get back to Kansas City for school.

--wake up an hour early to plan for driving, spend that hour getting lost and then get to school 15 minutes late.

--get great Kansas City Barbeque Ribs from great restaurant on the Plaza. Even greater when eating with friend's mother who was in town for a conference.

--spend an hour getting lost trying to drive back to friend's sister's house after school.

--call the Boy four times to whine about being lost.

--finally got to see what the apartment looks like and what the roommate is like. Both were very cool. Only sucky thing was that I could not move in on the prearranged date because the subletter who moved out was not subletting the room that I am renting. So I had to stay at friend's sister's house for a couple more days than initially intended.

--2 year old babies are cute. even cuter when you are able to run away and hide in your room when the baby is crying for half an hour.

--border collies are cute too. not so cute when they nip your hand everytime you try to pet it.

--himalayan cats are gorgeous but not so friendly

--call the Boy to share observations about babies, dogs and cats.

--the summer academic enrichment program I'm currently in is fun. I feel like I'm getting a week's head start on all the 1Ls. I've got briefing down pat.

--getting called on in class was scary, but being able to give a good argument for every question AND get praised by the professor gives me such a giddy feeling. hopefully the real classes are this easy.

--spending time with friend's friend who lives in Kansas City and went to an actual shopping center with regular stores like the Gap, Express and Barnes & Noble. Too bad I can't buy any more clothes.

--spending 2 hours shopping at Wal-Mart, then another hour at Target, and a half hour at Bed Bath & Beyond will still not get you everything you need in your apartment. I have to go back to those places tomorrow to get more stuff. Maybe roommate will join me so that she can help me carry home a desk....

--there are a lot of East Indian men in my apartment complex. I wonder if they are willing to share indian food.

--it's so nice to finally sleep on your very own bed again, especially when it's brand new and you took the plastic cover off yourself. And even better when the bed is not a twin.

--it's super nice to have your very own bathroom when you are sharing an apartment.

--I only talked to the Boy two times today, instead of the usual six I've been able to squeeze in. Is that a bit much?

--I found two Vietnamese resturants AND an asian food market. There is civilization in Kansas City.

--Life is gonna suck when I have to return the SUV to the Enterprise guy. How am I supposed to get to Wal-Mart Supercenter?

No comments: