Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Quote of the Day

Student: blah blah blah blah blah blah I read somewhere that it is now a law that you cannot pray in school...that it's illegal if you start praying in school.

Consitutional Law Professor: No, you're wrong. It's not a crime if you pray in school.

Student: But the United States just passed the legislation.

Prof: No, no. You can pray in school. It would be a violation of the constitution if they stopped you from praying. Take it from me. Praying is not illegal.

Student: But....

Prof: Christian groups can have after school meetings and reserve a classroom for praying if they want to and no one can stop them.

Student: But you can't pray out loud...

Prof: Yes you can. If you're in a cafeteria and everyone else is being loud, you can pray out loud, to yourself.

Student: I'll have to find the case where I read it from and show you.

Prof: I teach constitutional law so I know that it's true and it's not illegal to pray in school.

And then I overhead this same student trying to ask the following question during a break in the class:

Student: So, is it illegal to wear a cross to school?


Oh. My. Gosh. Please. Stop. Talking. Now.

No comments: