Thursday, August 03, 2006

conversation with the neighbor

While I was putting the finishing touches and preparing several boxes for shipping to Kansas City, the Boy's neighbor walks over with his dog and engages in the following conversation:

Neighbor: Are you and [the Boy] moving?

Me: Oh no. I'm packing up to go to law school.

Neighbor: Whereabouts?

Me: Kansas City?

Neighbor: You're both moving to Kansas City?

Me: No. Just me. I'm the only one moving to go to law school.

Neighbor: Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.

Me: Umm...sorry for what? That I'm going to law school?

Neighbor: No, sorry that you two broke up.

Me: huh? Oh no!! We didn't break up. We're still together and I'll come back during school breaks and will take the California bar after law school. I'll be back, don't worry.

Neighbor: Oh, good to know. So will [the Boy] still come here on the weekends?

Me: Yeah, he'll still come back here on the weekends. This house is his baby.

Neighbor: Good, good. I need a beer buddy. Good luck in law school!


Great, not only does the neighbor think we're breaking up, he's excited to have a beer buddy.

No comments: