Saturday, June 07, 2008

i sound like a broken record

I'm starting my fourth week at my wonderfully stress free internship, and I feel like a broken record everytime someone new asks me "So what school are you from?" It usually goes as follows:

An atty/investigator/paralegal/secretary/law clerk/mailroom person who I was not previously introduced to would ask: "What school are you from?"

Me: "University of Missouri - Kansas City"

Them looking shocked, then asking "What are you doing out here?"

Me: "I used to live and work in the Bay Area before I went away for law school."

Them: "Oh. So what made you decide to go out to the middle of no where?"

Me: "Well, I applied everywhere, and during the time that USF waitlisted me, UMKC kept throwing money at me to entice to go there. It worked."

Them: "Well, that's really smart. A JD is a JD whereever you can get one."

Me: "And it's all the same. As long as I can just pass the bar, right?"

Them: "Absolutely true. You've got quite a story there."

Me: "I seem to always take the more challenging route."

Them: "Barbeque must be really good out there."

.....

And so this is how my conversation goes when someone new decides to stop at my cube. With this internship and trying to make contacts for future job prospects, I feel like I'm living a never-ending interview.

No comments: