Tuesday, June 24, 2008

port tour

We had an actual law clerk outing last Thursday -- a boat tour of the port! And it was on one of the hottest days of the year.

There were quite a lot of people -- aka tourists -- on the boat in addition to us law clerks. Although it was hot and not quite as entertaining as I thought it would be (and just a bit educational), it was a great 3 hours away from the office and full of fishy sea air.
We saw the Coast Guard go by and all the cute men on board waved at me (well okay, maybe they were waving at everybody else on the tour boat).
I wonder if this is the same Cosco ship that crashed into the Bay Bridge and spilled a ton of oil into the bay.
Here are the cranes that move the containers from the ships onto the port and vice versa. My favorite quote from the tour guide: "Containers are the metal objects that are rectangular in shapre and comes in different colors. The containers may hold anything from raw material like cotton or new cars imported from other countries." And I added to myself that I never knew what a container was until she gave me the definition.
I tried to take a picture of our tour guide but I don't think you can see her here. She's in the third window (closest to the right side of the screen). It was totally obvious that she was reading from a script the entire time.
And here is a picture of the Bay Bridge with the new-not-yet-completed bridge right behind it. This is the eastern span of the Bay Bridge -- the one that connects Treasure Island/Yerba Buena Island with Oakland. They're building a new bridge to replace the one you see here. I think the new bridge is supposed to wrap around the island instead of going through it. Don't take my word for it - it's just speculation that I heard from the other interns and I'm just too tired to research further into that right now.

No comments: