Saturday, September 02, 2006

walking walking walking

My last class was over at 3pm and I was ready to start the Labor Day weekend. But wait a minute, what is a girl supposed to do without a car? There's not many options for pedestrians around here. And plus it was hot and humid, with the sun shining high above--who wants to walk in that weather?

I do! No, I wasn't crazy. I just didn't want to be sitting at home watching tv while it was so nice and sunny out. Plus my roommate went out of town so I'm really just stuck in the apartment if I didn't start using my two legs. My destination was the County Club Plaza, the closest thing to a mall within walking distance from my apartment.

So I started out on my walk, dressed in just a tank top and skirt (trust me, it was hot), and let's just say that not many people walk around here. I did find a bus stop, but still didn't see the bus. On my way, I discovered there's a Chinese restaurant two blocks from my apartment, an Osco drug stores next to the chinese restaurant, a subway restaurant, a Chipotle's, the Post Office, a beauty salon, the Kansas City Public Library, and a big chain Chinese Resturant, Bo Ling's--Chinese Please! All this located within a 5 minute walk from my apartment. I guess I'm not in the middle of no where.

The next ten minutes of walking took me across a couple of major intersections and a creek before I got to the Plaza, which is a collection of brand name stores set up like an outdoor style mall. I did a bunch of window shopping because there's no need to buy clothes anymore, but really there's just no need to BUY anymore. I did, however, take advantage of the Bath and Body Works "5 for $15" sale of anti-bacterial hand soaps.

After a couple of hours, I wanted to start walking back home but the heat was getting to me and I really didn't want to walk back home in the sun. I found another bus stop and comtemplated waiting for the bus. The only problem was that I had no small change on me and I really didn't know how much the fare was. In trying to find someone to inquire about the bus fare, I spotted Coldstone Cremery and came up with a better idea. I'll walk home eating ice-cream to keep me cool! But of course, before I could do that without feeling guilty, I called The Boy to confess my sins of ice-cream cravings. He was too ill to care what I was stuffing into my mouth, so a mint chocolate chip brownie fudge waffle cone gave me all the motivation I needed to make the 15 minute walk back home. It was a good thing too, because I still didn't see a bus go by as I made my way home.

Today, I'm heading to the Irish Festival with a friend and hopefully will have pictures to share.

No comments: