Monday, September 11, 2006

high school all over again

Is 1L supposed to be like high school?

For instance:

1. Lockers. Why must we be subjected to lockers and combinations again? Not only is the locker area crowded into a 12' x 12' space, but there's actually a line we have to wait in in order to get to our locker. And the lockers are half sizes, and if you were lucky, you got the top locker. And if you were unlucky, like me, you get the bottom locker and always run the risk of having the clumsy person drop his books on you from his top locker. Get some muscles and hold onto your books, mister!

2. Lunchroom politics. Okay, so there's no real cafeteria at the law school but there are two areas where students go to eat their packed lunch: the student lounge and outside on the terrace. And like high school, seatings is based on a) groupie seating, i.e. the 2Ls get first dibs at student lounge and 1Ls must suffer in the heat of the sun outside on the terrace; b) first come first serve seating if you don't want to be in a group; or c) eventually your unnamed group gets named by others as "the overachievers," "the jocks" or "the queens."

3. The popularity contest. Remember student government? Remember how the voting was most likely dependent upon how popular the candidate was? Yeah, well the same goes for the current campaign for 1L Student Bar Association Representatives. I think voting is this Thursday and Friday, and already the candidates have prostituted themselves for votes (I'll brief three cases for your criminal law class if you vote for me), used lots of candy as bribery, give out free coffee and donuts every morning, used their friends to get votes (if you're my friend, you'll vote for Sue), and even used the 10 minutes before class starts to do a quick 1 minute campaign blurb. I barely know the people in my section, let alone know who the other candidates in the other sections are. But, whoever can give me the most candy gets my vote.

4. The gossip. Ohmygosh, I don't know a third of the people in my class and already I know that Sue went to the party with Billy, got drunk with Fred and ended up going home with Bob. And I have no idea who Sue, Billy and Fred are!

No comments: