Tuesday, April 25, 2006

phone conversations and faxes

Me: Good morning, [law firm name].

Answering female: Hi, I'm trying to fax something to your office but your fax line is busy.

Me: Oh, well, our fax machine is in the back, so I can go check it in a minute.

Female: Well, let me double check the fax number just in case.

Me: Okay.

Female: Is it 310-123-4567?

Me: No, that's not our fax number.

Female: It's not? That's what it says here on the fax cover page.

Me: Wait a minute, are you faxing back a stipulation?

Female: Yes, to Mr. Attorney. Are you his assistant?

Me: Yeah, wait a minute I have the fax in front of me. Our fax number is definitely not that 310 number. We're in San Francisco so the area code is 415.

Female: Oh, umm..

Me: wait a minute, read me that number you tried to fax to again.

Female: 310-123-4567.

Me realizing that number was the same number in the "TO" section of the cover page: Um, isn't that your fax number?

Female: What? Ohhhh. Ummm.. Yeah.

Me: Do you still need our fax number? It's at the top of the cover page I faxed over to you.

Female: No, I see it now. 415-123-4567. Thank you!

Then I go to the fax machine and receive her fax, only to find out that she faxed the same 4 pages stipulation back to me without the requested signature.

~~~

Me: Oh, thank you for delivering that envelope so quickly and on such short notice. Just send the bill over to my attention and I'll take care of it.

Messenger guy on the phone: No problem. It might be a higher charge since you only gave us 30 minutes to deliver it after you faxed it to us.

Me: Oh that's okay. We needed to get it served today.

Messenger guy: I just didn't catch your name during the rush of instructions.

Me: Oh, it's Quyen.

Messenger guy: As in "the mighty Quinn"?

Me: Um, that's one way to put it.

Messenger guy: What a cool name.

Me: It's not spelled like that though.

Messenger guy: How do you spell it?

Me: Q-U-Y-E-N. It's also on the fax cover page that I sent you earlier.

Messenger guy: How do you get Quinn out of that?

Me: Um, you just do.

Messenger guy: It's still a cool name.

Me: Thanks. I'm pretty attached to it.

Messenger guy: Well, I'll fax the bill over to you.

Me: Thanks again.

I got the faxed invoice and the messenger guy had invoiced it to "Quinn Jemison". I had NO idea where Jemison came from.

No comments: