Saturday, April 01, 2006

If law schools don't want me...

It's April 1st and I have yet to receive a single acceptance letter to law school. So far, the score is 3 waitlist, 11 rejections and 6 schools have yet to respond.

Anyhoo, I started thinking about what I should do if law school doesn't happen. Oh, this is my second round of applications, and I feel that if I still can't get into law school, some higher power is probably telling me that law school is not for me. It doesn't matter that I work for a law firm and that I know what I'll learn in law school will probably never be used again when I become an attorney, but I still want to go to law school because this is what I want to do for my career. I want to spend 80 hours a week pushing papers and arguing with opposing counsel over who should have the right to schedule a deposition before the other. I want to be chained to my desk as I crank out motion after motion to compel those damn discovery responses that were due over three weeks ago. The only thing I need to be able to do all that is a JD degree and I can't get a JD if law schools don't want me!

Okay, so in the event that law school really doesn't want me, I am going to take that as a sign that an attorney's life is not in the future for me. Which means, that I should probably start looking for a career change. Here's my current list of what to do after law schools reject you twice:

1. Quit your job as a legal assistant/paralegal. If you were ready for law school, you're too freaking smart to be someone else's gopher. (although it might be a little tough walking away from a $50-$80k a year job...)

2. Give in to your ex-boss's pleas to steal you away from your current job and join his insurance firm, probably pushing papers or selling insurance policies even though he swears you won't be doing any selling. He assures you that there will be opportunities to climb the ladder and eventually be an insurance broker with your own hours.

3. Go beg a bank for a business loan so that you can be part of a franchise and open your very own Edible Arrangements store in San Francisco (there is a store in Mountain View, CA, but it would still be economical to have a store in downtown San Francisco). This would be one of my dream jobs: being my own boss and being able to charge for artsy crafty stuff.

4. Get in touch with the Marine Friend when he returns from Iraq and go into business together opening a Vietnamese resturant in San Diego. I don't think my cooking is restaurant quality but I'm just going to be the boss, so I'll have to hire a really good chef to showcase the Vietnamese cuisine.

5. Keep trying to win the lottery.

6. Adopt more cats and be named the "old cat lady" in that building over there.

7. Continue in my parent's footsteps and open yet another nail salon in San Francisco and have the parents move cross county so they can work in said nail salon.

8. Nope, nix idea #7. I refuse to work with the parents again or even have them in the same city. Love them dearly but can't be near them for too long (I'm such a bad daughter!).

9. Move in with the Boy and have him support me while I try to find my passion in life. (ha ha ha, what am I thinking? Move in with the Boy? ha ha, so funny. Like that will ever happen. ha ha).

10. Go try out for American Idol, America's Next Top Model, Deal or No Deal, Wheel of Fortune, The Next Food Network Star...

Hopefully there will be an acceptance letter waiting at the post office while I am in Little Rock next week. I wish law schools would refund the application fees when they decide to reject the applicant. Then I wouldn't be so bitter.

1 comment:

Q said...

Oh!!! I vote for edible arrangements! Or the restaurant! Anything I can eat! Count me in! I'll be your bank reference. : )

And maybe the law schools sense you are too nice to be corrupted by the jerks in law school. Who needs 'em?