Sunday, April 09, 2006

First Class all the way

My flight out of Little Rock was being delayed by an hour due to "mechanical problems" so therefore I would miss my connection in Dallas. I waited in line to get re-routed on another flight and I scored big time!

Counter Lady: Are there other surrounding airports that you can fly into besides San Jose?
Me: Hmm, San Francisco.
Counter Lady: Uh huh.
Me: Oakland. Will any of those work?
Counter Lady: Let me see what I can find.
(She's clicking away at the keyboard for about five minutes.)
Counter Lady: Would you mind flying First Class into Oakland?
Me thinking in my head: Is she serious? Did she just ask if I mind flying First Class?
Me speaking: I'm not responsible for the charges right?
Counter Lady: Oh no, no extra charge because the delay was due to a mechanical failure. American Airlines will pick up the tab. And unfortunately, that's the only available connection I have for you in Dallas. First Class to Oakland, will that do?
Me thinking in my head: Score!
Me speaking sarcastically: Oh, First Class? I guess it'll have to do if that's the only seat you have available.
Counter Lady: Okay then. Here are your new boarding passes and this one is for your connecting flight in Dallas. Have a pleasant flight!

So I'm psyched about the new changes. I call the Boy to tell him about the changes.

BF: Did you get to Dallas already?
Me: Well, not quite. I have good news and bad news, what do you want to hear first?
BF: Ohhh....bad news first.
Me: It's 4:30 and I'm still in Little Rock.
BF: Oh that's bad. Your flight is supposed to leave now isn't it?
Me: Yeah, it was. The plane is delayed due to mechanical problems so I won't be leaving for at least another hour. But then I'll miss my connection in Dallas.
BF: Oh no. So what's the good news?
Me: You don't have to drive all the way from Sacramento to San Jose to pick me up.
BF: Why's that?
Me: They re-routed me to Oakland, so it'll be on your way home from Sacramento. And I get in at 10:30pm so you don't have to leave any earlier than you usually do!
BF: Well, that's wonderful news! Yay!
Me: There's more!
BF: There's more?
Me: Yep, they bumped me up to First Class for my connecting flight in Dallas.
BF: That doesn't benefit me.
Me: I didn't say that the good news was all for you.
BF: Ha ha. Don't get too spoiled now.


So, I landed in Dallas at 7:00 pm and I was hungry. There was a screen that said First Class passengers got a snack during the flight but not knowing what "snack" really meant, I went and got myself a sandwich from Au Bon Pain. After my dinner, I sat in the waiting area until boarding time. I was totally not paying any attention to the boarding announcements but they made several calls for all First Class passengers to board before I realized that "hey I had a First Class boarding pass!"

The seats in First Class are so nice and comfy! And there's enough leg room for me to leave my window seat and go to the toilet without waking up the guy seated next to me. The best part about the seats was that when you pushed the button to recline back, the bottom also reclined forward so that your body would be in better alignment while in the reclined position. Awesome.

After we reached cruising altitude, our flight attendant in First Class (we have our very own flight attendant!) came around and asked what we wanted for a snack: "Turkey on a croissant or Chicken Breast over mixed greens? And what would you like to drink?" And did you know you could get alcoholic drinks without having to pay an arm and a leg for it? If I actually like the taste of alcohol, I would totally have taken advantage of that that and ordered myself a few martinis but I settled for unlimited Dr. Pepper instead (the flight attendant refills my glass every time, and our drinks were served in a real glass, not a plastic cup.)

Before our "snack" arrived, we were served a warm dish of cashews and pecans. It was served in a dish, not a bag that you have to rip open yourself either. And it was warm! Then afterwards, we got a warm hot napkin to clean our hands before starting on the turkey croissant/chicken salad "snack". Our food was served on a tray lined with a real linen napkin and our plastic fork and knife (I guess real silverware are still considered dangerous) was wrapped in another real linen napkin. There was a miniature wine glass that the flight attendant could fill with white or red wine. There was a large salad in addition to the turkey/chicken choice we were offered. There was a wedge of chedder cheese with some crackers and there was some cookies to wrap it all off. And the entire time, the flight attendant kept checking in on us to make sure our meal was okay. If I had known this was what a snack would be, I wouldn't have eaten dinner in the airport!

Ah, I could get use to the First Class life. Especially on those cross country trips to Boston. I don't think I'll get another chance to fly First Class. Unless there was another mechanical problems that causes me to miss any connecting flights.

No comments: