Thursday, February 18, 2010

mmm mmm good fried chicken

A's boyfriend was visiting this weekend and so I met them for dinner after my class today. The dinner choice was Founding Farmers, literally a block from GWU Law School. I wanted to go there because Booth and Brennan from Bones always seemed to end their day with dinner at Founding Farmers, and plus I heard the food was good.

Founding Farmers prides itself on eco-friendliness and all of the food is prepared with fresh produce from local farms and made from scratch, right down to making ginger ale from scratch (it was delicious! not sure if I can go back to Canada Dry Ginger Ale cans).

We started off with some corn bread baked in a skillet. The thickness was not as thick as I would have liked it but the taste was great. Apparently the cornbread is even tastier when slathered in butter and honey (there was a serving of butter that had honey in it).

Skillet corn bread with butter and honey

We also tried the Popcorn of the Day. The chef's choice of flavor today was ranch.

Popcorn of the day - Today it was ranch flavored

I don't know what seasoning they put together to make the ranch but my goodness, that was the best popcorn I've had in a long time. So flavorful!

Ranch flavored popcorn

For my dinner entree, I chose the Southern Fried Chicken and Waffle plate. It was ginormous! I ate all the waffles and only one piece of chicken. I don't usually eat cooked carrots, but whatever glaze was added to the carrots made it really tasty. The mac & cheese was pretty yummy too. The waiter packed up what was left on my plate, and now I'll have chicken dinner tomorrow too!

Fried Chicken and Waffle dinner

We finished off dinner with an order of dessert -- Fried donut holes with chocolate, caramel and vanilla rum dipping sauces.

Fried donut holes served with chocolate, caramel and vanilla rum dipping sauce.

Fresh donut holes are oh so yummy. I liked dipping them into the chocolate and caramel sauces, but the vanilla rum was not a favorite because it tasted waaaaayyy too much of rum and I am not a lover of things that taste like alcohol (I like drinking cocktails that don't taste like alcohol).

All in all, it's a place I would definitely go to again. And since it's so close to school, we might have to figure out if there's some sort of happy hour special...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

omg! heaven!! the donut holes. the fried chicken. yes please!