Monday, February 09, 2009

sweet cravings

Mom (in Vietnamese): Did you call me?

Me: Yes. I want to know how to make that sweet red bean dessert.

Mom: What kind of beans do you have?

Me: Um, red beans...

Mom: No no...are they from a can or hard beans?

Me: The beans are in a bag, and they're hard, so I'm assuming the beans need to be soaked first?

Mom: That's right, soak the beans overnight...

Me: OVERNIGHT?! I can't even cook it until tomorrow? It takes that long to soak?

Mom: ...and then cook it until....of course you have to soak it overnight, they're fresh beans. If you had red beans out of the can, you could cook it right away and have dessert tonight.

Me: Fine, soak overnight. And then how long do I need to cook it in water?

Mom: Until the beans are soft. And make sure you rinse it a couple of times because red beans have a dirty film on them.

Me: ugh.

Mom: Why are you even making red bean dessert? You don't make things like that.

Me: Because I'm craving something sweet, and the only thing in my fridge that I could possibly make sweet was the bag of red beans. But I didn't realize that I have to soak the beans overnight.

Mom: Well, you can have dessert tomorrow.

Me: Too much waiting. Maybe I'll just walk to CVS and buy some chocolate chip cookies.

Mom: Aiya!



Turns out I was also too lazy to walk the three blocks to CVS for the chocolate chip cookies. So I munched on some almonds, but the sweet tooth is not satisfied. This is what I get for trying to cut out chocolate/sweets out of my diet.

I do have a bowl of red beans currently being soaked in water. Let's see if I remember to cook them tomorrow.

No comments: