Sunday, February 15, 2009

anti-valentine's dinner

As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm an anti-Valentine person, and I don't celebrate the holiday because I think it's a just a stupid made up holiday for the greeting card companies to make more money. Plus, I've always been disappointed by past boyfriends, so when I met The Boy so many years ago, I told him that I don't believe in Valentine's Day and he doesn't have to go out of his way to plan anything for me. If I don't acknowledge the holiday, then I won't get disappointed because I won't have anything to look forward to. This methodology has worked out well because even though I give The Boy the holiday off, he still sends me a card or a little flower pot just to say "Happy Valentines".
Anyway, this Valentine's Day, we spent the weekend at The Boy's mother's house. The Boy's mother wanted to go all gung ho in celebrating Valentines (she works for Hallmark), even though she knew that I was anti-Valentine and her daughter was not in the mood to celebrate (broken heart drama). But his mother still wanted to make a special dinner for Valentine's Day.
So she prepared steak tenderloins, steamed green beans and asparagus, baked potatoes, and biscuits. Everything was sooo good. I even ate all of my steak (especially since G made sure it was burnt and not bleeding on the inside), which is rare because I don't like to eat red meat.

The best part of the whole dinner was the apple pie. OHMYGOSH that pie was so delicious! The filling came from a friend of The Boy's mother. I liked that the apples in the filling were so crisp and it was just the right kind of sweetness. I had a giant slice with some vanilla ice-cream.

All in all, it was a yummy dinner. And just for kicks, I toasted a Happy Valentine's Day to The Boy's mother since she worked so hard to make it a special holiday.

No comments: