Sunday, May 25, 2008

weekend of the dogs

I spent the long weekend at L's house, and I arrived on Friday evening just in time to see L go off to work. As she left, she tells me that she promised the dogs I would take them on a W-A-L-K. When L is home alone, she usually walks one dog at a time for a half hour each, so she ends up going around the block twice but each time with a different dog.

Well, I was too hungry, and pretty much too lazy, to do two 30-minutes walks, so I just took both dogs out at once. If you recall, Beau is the puppy, aka the hyper energetic one that bounces, tugs, jumps, licks, and runs all over the place. Beau is the one on the left. Brandy, the more mature and much calmer dog, is on the right.


So this is me being tugged by both dogs. I felt like my arm right arm was going to fall off. Because Beau is so hyper, he drags me as I'm jogging along to keep from tripping. Then there was a cat, and both dogs started pulling me. Um yeah, that was fun.

The next morning, L and I walked the dogs to a nearby park so we can throw a ball around and let the dogs run to catch it. This is the only way to wear out Beau -- after a half hour of playing catch at the park, Beau will just lie down with his tongue hanging out, which is a sign that he's out of energy and wants to go home.
Brandy just likes to chew on the ball. She doesn't chase after it much.
And after today's walk around the neighborhood, I found a cherry tree with lots of big, round, juicy cherries! I had never seen an actual cherry tree before and was so excited at the sight. The actual tree was in somebody's yard, but there were lots of branches hanging over the side of the fence and cherries were falling onto the sidewalk. So, I jumped up and snagged a few cherries. Much to my disappointment, however, the cherries were way too tart to actually consume. With the color such a deep red, you'd figure the cherries were ripe and sweet enough to eat.

That's what I get for taking someone else's cherries.

There was also a lemon tree right next to the cherry tree...unfortunately, there were no branches hanging over the side of the fence. Or else I would have snagged a lemon too.

No comments: