Saturday, May 03, 2008

oh the embarassment

Several years ago, my mom bought this Samsung cell phone solely because of one ringtone it provided. The ringtone consisted of some pop/techno music with a voice that said "hello hello" on every other beat. I didn't understand what was so spectacular about this ringtone until she said that the voice that said "hello hello" sounded exactly like MY voice. And so everytime the phone rings "hello hello", it makes her a bit excited because she thinks I might be the one calling.
I didn't believe that this voice was mine, so I had to go hear it for myself. And you know? It WAS my voice. I swear someone recorded me saying "hello hello" while I was walking down the street or something.

Anyway, her Samsung phone died earlier this year, and Samsung doesn't make that model anymore. So my mom was devastated that she couldn't have that ringtone anymore because she could no longer hear my "hello hello" when the phone rang.

For mother's day this year, I bought her one of those Hallmark music cards, where you open it and it plays a song. The song on this card was "Whomp, there it is!" because I think that's one of the only English songs my mom recognizes. This card also allowed me to record a message that would play before the song started, which was why I thought my mom would really like it. So for the recording, I started off with "hello hello? mom home?" and continued with all the gushy miss-you-love-you-happy-mother's-day mumbo jumbo, which I will spare you the details. I figured that if she actually keeps the card, she can open it and hear my voice anytime she wants to.

Well, today I called her to see if she received the card yet, because my mom has this habit of never calling me to tell me that she received anything I sent her, let alone a thank you for sending it. My mom said she just got the card this morning and it made her day. She then continued to say that she brought the card to her work and has been continuously showing it EVERYONE she comes into contact with -- her boss, her coworkers, my aunts and uncles, the clients who come in for a manicure, the Cingular phone people next door to her work, the CVS photo people. I swear.

Because I am not known to be a sentimental person who openly shares her emotions with her mother, I know I will be teased for all eternity. Now I just have to avoid the majority of the Boston and South Shore area whenever I go visit. Because I'm pretty sure the mailman will soon know my voice too.

No comments: