Monday, January 01, 2007

watch what you say

I spent the last weekend of my vacation helping the Boy move his things from his house to a storage locker in the middle of no where, USA. We had to get a U-Haul truck to move his bed, so we went to this tiny place off the highway and waited a zillion hours for a truck, but we almost didn't get a truck at all due to the Boy's frequency to mouth off. See below:

U-Haul guy: Well, I can rent you a 10 footer but you will have to return it to the U-Haul center in North Highland. Is that okay?

BF: Sure, no problem. Wait, it's the same price if I return it there?

U-Haul guy: Yes, it'll be the same price. They just need the truck to be returned to that location.

BF: Okay, no problem. Sign me up.

Me: Honey, where's North Highland?

BF: It's the ghetto area. It's the hood.

Me: Oh.

U-Haul guy: Hey, just stop right there. North Highlands is not the ghetto.

BF: Oh, yes it is.

U-Haul guy: I live there.

BF: Ohhhh......shit.

U-Haul guy: And if you want that truck, you better take those words back.

BF: I'm so sorry. Did I say "ghetto"? I've been living in [the expensive rich area] for so long that I forget that North Highland is just as good as [the expensive rich area]. Please give me a truck.

U-Haul guy: Okay now. You remember that North Highlands is not the ghetto or the hood.

BF: Yes, sir.

Me talking to the Boy after we got into the U-Haul truck: You and your mouth. One day, you're going to get us both beaten up.



And so we drove from the Boy's house through "the ghetto" to get to his storage locker. I'm not so sure it's "the hood" since there's this giant moo cow on top of a gas station advertising fresh milk. I'm thinking that we're in redneck county. And I swear the guy who rented the storage locker to the Boy was Larry the Cable Guy himself.

No comments: