Friday, January 05, 2007

surprise of the day

This is the second day of the semester and my first class of the day was my 9 a.m. Contracts class.

As usual, I walked out of my apartment at 8:45 a.m. and meandered my way across the two blocks to get to school. I got to class, decided not to sit in the assigned seat from last semester, took out my laptop and book and was ready to begin an exhilarating discussion of the Parole Evidence Rule. The clock said 8:55 a.m. and I noticed there was only five people sitting in class.

I thought it was odd that the majority of the class was not IN CLASS five minutes before class starts. It's normal that the professor usually arrives five minutes late (and then keeps us five minutes after) but still, shouldn't people be sitting in class and shooting the shit right now?

And then it happened. The email that canceled class for today. The email that the professor sent at 2 a.m. in this morning. TWO A.M.? Do "business hours" not apply to professors? AND he's not even showing up for Monday's class, but sending a sub instead. I just know that he's going to give us about twenty minutes notice for when he wants to have a make-up class. What a great start to the semester.

Lesson of the day: Check your email BEFORE leaving home. Just in case someone decides to cancel class while you were sleeping.

Highlight of yesterday: Finding $15 in the pocket of a gym bag that hasn't been used since leaving San Francisco in August. Whoo hoo! I'm rich! Bring on the chocolate cake!

No comments: