Monday, November 06, 2006

spam on cell phones

Technology is getting more advanced these days, especially with cell phones. Nowadays, you can get a teeny tiny cell phone that plays music, connects to the internet, takes pictures, takes video images, and of course text messaging.

I appreciate the opportunity to use my cellphone as a camera, telephone and an mp3 player at the same time, but I do not appreciate the SPAM "text messages".

For instance:

"We are interested in buying your house. Come to our meeting tomorrow night for more information. Call 888-888-1234."

Hello! I don't even own a home! And that spam message just cost me $0.10 on my cell phone bill. Thanks mister.

BUT, what I don't understand is getting forwarded messages from people you KNOW. And these messages aren't personally specific to you, like "Hi, wanna go out to lunch today?" Oh no, these messages look something like this:

"FWD: A PHONE TOAST! *2 US* 4 THE MEN WHO HAVE US, THE LOSERS WHO HAD US, N THE LUCKY BASTARDS WHO WILL MARRY US! SEND THIS TO ALL THE PRETTY GIRLS YOU KNOW!"

And this is coming from someone I know! Although I don't think she realizes she keeps sending me these annoying and randem text messages. Why? Because I used to be old school in thinking that you have to send each person a separate text message and if you wanted to send the same message to another person, you'd have to type it all over again and enter in the other person's number. But, you don't have to do that anymore. If you want to send the same message to 100 of your friends, you can just enter in some combination of commands on your cell phone that is the equivalent of "SEND ALL" on an email program.

I can buy a piece of chocolate for ten cents, which is much more enjoyable than getting spam messages on any kind of communication tool.

No comments: