Friday, December 30, 2005

Hawaiian Rudeness

My friend and I were at the Ala Moana doing some shopping and taking some pictures. We wanted a picture with the both of us in it and so decided to ask someone to take a picture of us. I decided to ask this sweet looking woman sitting on the bench next to us because she didn't seem like she was busy or anything like that.

Me: "Excuse me, miss. Would you mind taking a picture of the both of us?"

Her: "Umm, no. I don't feel like doing it and I don't want to take your picture either."

Me: "Well, thanks anyway."

Ouch! Sorry I asked! So we were quite afraid of asking anyone else to take a picture of us after that encounter with the devil.

But that's not the worse blow off I have encountered since I've been in lovely Hawaii...read on.

We decided to go hike the "10-things-you-must-do-in-Hawaii" Diamondhead Mountain (see picture above, which is a view from the top of the mountain). We found our way to Diamondhead area, but couldn't find the main entrance area where we pay for admission and parking. So we decided to stop the car and ask a "local" for directions. A jogger came into view and he was heading straight for us, so we decided to ask him for directions.

My friend: "Sir, excuse me, sir. Can you tell us how to get to the entrance of Diamond...."

Jogger cuts her off: "No, I can't. I'm running" and he keeps on running.

All of us in the car stare at one another, stunned at his rudeness. We were afraid to ask anyone else for directions after that.

Who said Hawaiians had the nicest people on Earth? Someone lied to that person.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Humans can be rude to one another...but the understanding of it is out of reach. Sorry for those rude people.