Saturday, April 17, 2010

farmers & fishers

For my official birthday celebration with friends, we had dinner at Farmers & Fishers in Georgetown.  I really wanted to go to Founding Farmers but they were booked, and I remembered that the menu mentioned to visit their sister restaurant, Farmers & Fishers.

There really was no comparison - I thought Founding Farmers is much better.  For starters, the menu at Farmers & Fishers was about half the size of Founding Farmers, so I was a bit disappointed with the selection.  And when I asked for the doughnut holes, they gave me whole doughnuts (ok, maybe I was a little buzzed and imagined that doughnut holes was on the menu).  It took FOREVER to get a drink, and the place wasn't even that busy when we were there.

Well, enough complaining, the food was just okay.  I thought most of the dishes were kinda dry.  There was a Wisconsin Burger (a burger in between a grilled cheese sandwich) that a couple of my friends were going completely gaga over, but other than that, the food was just mediocre.  I had the Crab Melt Ravioli, which was tasty in that it had a lot of crab meat in each ravioli.  I thought it needed some sort of sauce on top, just a tad bit, but there was nearly next to none.
Crab Melt Ravioli
(Sorry for the fuzzy photo, it was dark and I was using the indoors function without the flash on, which requires a steady hand...)

Trio of Pies
For dessert, the group chose a trio of pies -- I really can't remember what kind of pies they chose.  For my birthday selection, I chose the doughnut holes, but as mentioned above, I got something that looks just like regular doughnuts.  Remember these doughnut holes?  Yeah, that's what I was expecting.
Doughnut Holes

If it wasn't for the good company, I would have been very disappointed about the food.

No comments: