Friday, January 29, 2010

homemade oreos and more

What is a girl to do with all this stuff? Make cookies, of course!!
I needed to make some cookies as a present for S's brithday, so I decided to try out this recipe for homemade oreo cookies from Smitten Kitchen. It was a fairly simple recipe and was yummy bit of chocolate goodness.
I had to flatten out the dough before putting it in the oven, and I wonder if I flattened it out too much because the cookies were big and crispy. Not sure if the recipe was intended for crispy cookies, but the pictures from Smitten Kitchen looked like it was a more chewy oreo rather than a normal, crispy oreo.
Needless to say, they still turned out pretty good even if they were super-sized oreos.
I was a good girl and only ate a couple for "quality control" purposes. (side story - I tell The Boy that I usually have to eat at least one cookie from every batch that comes out of the oven as a kind of taste test to ensure the cookie is fully baked. He laughs at this because when I make chocolate chip cookies, it ends up to be about five batches that go in the oven and I have eaten five cookies in just that baking period. So I'm actually eating more than the recommended serving during my "taste test".)
You know I like variety, so in addition to making oreos from scratch, I also made the usual chocolate chip cookie and decided to add coconut to the batter - yep, coconut chocolate chip cookies. Chocolate + Coconut = YUMMY IN THE TUMMY!
I think I ended up with three dozen of each of oreos and coconut chocolate chip cookies. I kept a dozen of the coconut chocolate for ourselves (me and the roommie) and divvied up the rest to give away, mostly to S for his birthday. I believe they were a hit.

Click here for the homemade oreo cookie recipe.
For the coconut chocolate chip cookie, I followed Nestle Tollhouse's recipe for chocolate chip cookies and instead of adding walnuts, I added about a cup of coconut.

Happy Baking!

No comments: