Sunday, January 10, 2010

baked honeycomb cake

T's cousin made us some baked honeycomb cake, aka banh bo nuong. I haven't had this cake since I was a little girl back in Kansas. In Vietnamese, the name "banh bo nuong" is literally translated into "grilled cow cake". I'm not sure why it is named this, as it is neither grilled nor contains any cow parts whatsoever.

I remember T's cousin putting in some flour, baking powder, some kind of green extract for flavoring, about 8 eggs, a cup of sugar, and perhaps some tapioca flour in it.
Then she put it in the mixer for about 15 minutes before adding a can of coconut milk.

She heated up the pan before pouring the batter into it. Baked it for about half an hour. She also broiled the top for a minute or so before taking it out of the oven to cool.

And then she cut up the cake into triangle slices before allowing T and I to devour a bunch before she sent the rest home with us.

Click here for a recipe for honeycomb cake I found online.

Photos courtesy of T.

2 comments:

Ashly Dawn said...

This actually looks to be really good. I'm going to have to attempt this with maybe an almond extract or something. I was thinking a small drizzle or glaze would make a super sweet holiday coffee-mate. :) Thank You for sharing this recipe and also your insight into the actual meaning of the name.

q-pig said...

I'm glad you found this helpful! Let me know how the almond extract works out.