Monday, August 24, 2009

nature in bloom

After we finished playing/exploring/learning at the Academy of Science, The Boy and I quickly walked through the Botanical Gardens at Golden Gate Park. Not tooting my own horn or anything, but I got a lot of good pictures of the flowers using the macro feature on my camera.










This last one is my favorite photo.

I know I haven't been posting a lot about food, and I'm trying to make up for it. It's coming soon! In the meantime, there is a funny story about food on this outing with The Boy. We had lunch at the Academy of Science in their cafe, which boasted food from around the world. So naturally, we decided to order a little bit of everything. The cafe has a cafeteria style setup and just like a cafeteria in high school, you take your tray and put whatever dish you want and move along until you're ready for the register. And since we wanted a bit of every international flavor, we ordered way too much for two people to eat. There were springrolls, porkbuns, quesadillas, pho, Mexican soda. We ate only half of it and had to brown bag the rest.

So, The Boy was carrying around the bag of leftovers while we were walking around the Botanical Gardens. At one point, I look over and noticed that he is surrounded by squirrels. Seriously, there was like ten squirrels surrounding him. I took one picture from about twenty feet away. Then I slowly sneaked up to him because there was one squirrel that was climbing up his pant leg aiming for the bag of leftovers. I wasn't able to get a picture of the squirrel climbing up his jeans, though, because The Boy flinched when the squirrel started digging his claws into his jeans. The Boy then tore a piece of quesadilla and fed it to the one squirrel. The other squirrels were jealous.

I just gotta say that those squirrels were not the least bit shy of humans. Especially humans with food in hand.

No comments: