Thursday, August 20, 2009

butterflies in the rainforest

Before I left SF for DC, The Boy and I went to spend half the day at the California Academy of Science. I was pretty peeved that day because: 1) we had to wait in line for 45 minutes just to get tickets, and this was on a weekday!; 2) they ran out of passes to the Planetarium, which is one of the main attractions; and 3) the 3D Bugs show was not running. I was looking forward to visiting this place for such a long time that I felt cheated for paying $19.95 per person (student discount) and not being able to see 2 of the 3 things that the science museum is known for.

Okay, now that that's out of my system, we were able to get in line to see the Rainforest Globe. It was full of butterflies flying around and it was humid as heck (because it's the rainforest you know). The butterflies were mostly on the top level of the rainforest, so I got some better close-ups once we were at the top.




I don't know how, but this one lady was able to get a butterfly to land on her fingertips. She quickly became an immediate photo opportunity and everyone starting circling around her while being careful not to scare the butterfly away.


While we were walking up from the bottom of the rainforest, we saw these yellow plates in the tress, but we didn't know what they were for. Well, at the top, you can see the butterflies and birds feeding on these oranges.

More to come with the Academy of Science fun.

No comments: