Sunday, February 03, 2008

superbowl food, the chinese way

My roommate, an international student from China, wanted to invite some of her friends over for dinner tonight (friends are also international students from China) and she also invited me, because you know, I live with her. I said I'd join dinner but asked if they would mind if I could keep the TV on to watch the Superbowl. Surprisingly, she said we could just make it a Superbowl dinner party. So, that's what we did.

There were Chinese marinated ribs, honey glazed chicken wings (made the Asian way, of course)...

...some cucumber chicken potato salad, and spicy tofu. Oh yeah, all served with white rice, of course.

...

Luckily, two of her friends were males so they were excited to see their first American Superbowl game. And they kinda understood the game.

...

Now, imagine me, someone who isn't an expert in football in the first place, trying to explain to a group of foreign students about the rules of football, the history of the Patriots' undeated season thus far, and the importance of how we had to root for the Patriots during the entire game. There were a lot of questions and I tried to answer as best as I could all the while screaming "NOOOO, THROW THE DAMN BALL BRADY!!!" or "WHERE'S THE DEFENSE???"

...

Once everyone understood what was supposed to happen (i.e. the Patriots must win in order to have a perfect season), we all got into the game. I, for the first time in my life, was screaming at the TV whenever Brady got hit or the Eli connected on a pass. When the Patriots made their last touchdown, the roommate and her friends thought the game was over and Patriots won. They didn't understand the concept of 2:39 minutes was a lifetime in football and anything could happen within that period. And unfortunately for the Patriots, anything did happen.

...

Damn, that was a good game. But let me just say that the halftime show could have been a lot more exciting. I'm so bummed the Patriots lost. My poor Brady -- must be crying his eyes out.

No comments: