Wednesday, February 06, 2008

super sized dumplings



I used to make my own dumplings (or wontons/potstickers/and the like) from scratch, but I always bought the ready made wrappers from the store. I would just make the filling (usually shrimp and pork) and then sit in front of the TV while "wrapping" the ready made wonton wrappers around the filling; it's similar to wrapping eggrolls, but in smaller form. And I thought it was already a long process to make home-made dumplings when using ready made store bought wrappers.

Then I met my roommate, and her friends. They make EVERYTHING from scratch, including the wrapper. The dough is made from flour and eggs, and kneaded until your arms fall off. Then each dumpling wrapper is rolled out piece by piece before adding the filling. Normally, the dumplings are about 1-2 inches in length. Last night, however, the dumplings were about twice the normal size because we were all hungry and didn't want to wait another hour just to finish making the dumplings.

I guess now that I know how to make the dough for the dumpling/wonton/potsticker wrapper, I should never go back to buying ready made wrappers. Homemade dough tastes much better than store bought. But then again, if I'm lazy, I'll just buy it from the store. =)

I have always wondered what the difference is between a dumpling, a wonton and a potsticker. I ask the natives of China, and they can't tell me. The only difference I know is that a potsticker is always fried. Whereas dumplings can be steamed or fried, and wontons are always in a soup. Is there any other difference?

No comments: