Monday, February 11, 2008

pizza skins

So like I said in my previous post, we had dinner at Uno Chicago Grill yesterday. In addition to my alcoholic Wildberry Lemonade, we had an appetizer and the pizza. For the appetizer, we decided to try their new "Pizza Skins," which is their version of potato skins on pizza dough. I was under the impression that it was going to be a very thin layer of pizza dough, with potato skins on top and everything piled with bacon bits, cheese and sour cream.
What we got was something that looked like a mini-pizza with mashed potatoes on top and then cheese, bacon bits and a dollop of sour cream. It was a bit weird to eat mashed potatoes on pizza dough. The dough by itself was good because it was flaky, but the combination of the mashed potatoes and pizza dough was just weird. I sprinkled a ton of crushed red peppers on top so the burning sensation on my tongue helped masked the weirdness of mashed potatoes and pizza dough. I also downed by Wildberry Lemonade to wash away the taste.
The Chicago style deep dish Uno Special pizza, on the other hand, was DELICIOUS. Although I've always seen an Uno Chicago Grill, I've never actually been inside one, and thus have never had their pizza. The crust was so good -- a bit flaky but also crispy in addition to being just thick enough to hold the toppings. The seasoning on the pizza was savory enough that I didn't have to do what I normally do when eating pizza -- adding a ton of crushed red peppers to help with the taste.
...
Next time, I think I'll skip the pizza skins and go straight for the pizza. That and a couple glasses of the wildberry lemonade.

No comments: